Thursday, January 20, 2011

Travel By Air

Ok people!  It has been 10 years!  10 years since our world changed forever.   You are not special!  You are not entitled to special treatment!  We all have to follow the same rules!  

I feel like a PSA for the TSA.  Really it is not that hard.  First, when going through security you may NOT take 2 cans, 12oz each, of super hold hair spray. You must remove your shoes. Place all liquids in containers that are 3oz or smaller into a quart size baggie. Your laptop has to go in a bin all by itself.  And please, if you forget (we all have lapses in memory) be nice to the TSA folks. They are just doing their job. Yelling at them doesn’t get you a free pass on your $5 Starbucks coffee that you just purchased outside of security.  

When you finally get through security and board your plane, be nice to the flight attendants. They have a thankless job, and they are not well paid. It is just not that hard to be nice to the flight attendant.

You are allowed 2 carry-on items. NOT 3, or 4, or 5.  I boarded a flight last week, placed my carry-on bag in the overhead bin and my laptop bag under the seat in front of me. I opened my kindle and patiently waited for the rest of my fellow travel companions to board. Imagine my fury when the last woman to board the plane had 3 carry-on items and the nerve to try to rearrange the overhead bin above me when she is sitting about 15 rows behind me.  Really? Yes, I had a few choice words for her.  The flight attendant was kind enough to check one of her “carry-on” items. She wasn’t happy; I wasn’t happy, and the poor flight attendant was exhausted.

One more thing: when the fasten seat belt sign is on, stay in your seat! Why is it that immediately after the pilot announces the the plane will be landing in 20 minutes and turns the fasten set belt sign on everybody runs for the bathroom? Did the bell make you have to pee? The poor flight attendants now have to be the bad guys and tell you to sit down. On the same flight as the carry on offender, an elderly woman jumped up as soon as the bell rang. She tried to open the door to the cockpit instead of the bathroom door. A nice gentleman in the front row jumped up to “help” direct her to the correct door. Now I know she was just lost and not a threat, but damn people, pay attention to your surroundings.  

10 years! The rules have been in affect for 10 years! After 9-11 the world changed, and I doubt we will ever go back to a more innocent time. Just get over it and play by the rules, or risk my wrath if I happen to be in line behind you trying to get through security, so I catch my flight.

Yes, it was a bad flight.  But I was flying to see Queen Bees and dear friends, so in the end it was worth the annoying people on my flight and in front of me in the security line to get to spend time with people I love.

3 comments:

  1. I'm just glad you tolerated the crazy people to come see us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pet peeve is the idiotic parents who complain about wanting to hold their infants in their laps while traveling by air. You cannot hold on stong enough to prevent a baby from flying out of your arms in an accident. We have all heard about the unbelted passengers getting banged around on the ceiling during turbulence... Imagine your baby's head slamming into the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 1000% agree about carrying a baby in your lap. Buy a seat for your baby! You don't drive in a car without a car seat so you should never fly without a car seat. I think it should be the law.

    ReplyDelete