Saturday, January 15, 2011

Who am I, and why am I writing a blog?

A dear friend recently confronted me after sending an email to her and a few other friends regarding recent events that were in the news. She said, “why aren’t you writing a blog?” I said, “I don’t know.” After more discussion about her challenge I decided to give it a try. But I reserve the right to stop at any moment.

Why the title – Somebody Hold My Purse!? – I have a tall soap box, and I need both hands to crawl up and get my balance before I start to vent.

Who am I? First and foremost I am a mom. I have two children who are currently in college, and I feel like my greatest accomplishment is raising them to be compassionate contributing human beings. They are not perfect by any definition and are still growing into who they will become, but at this point I am pretty damn proud of both of them. I am a wife. I have been married for 24+ years to an amazing man. We have supported each other through thick and thin. I am very lucky to have him in my life.

Now the rest of me. Politically, I am fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I have a very deep faith in God. I call a spade a spade. I curse. There is very little that I am frightened of. I have no problem speaking my mind (hence the blog). I am loud, although I have recently learned that one reason I am loud is because of a genetic hearing loss. Who knew? I can’t believe that at my age I have to wear a hearing aide. But I am sure the people in my life are ok with it. I love exclamation marks. It helps me get my point across. My friends have described me as loyal. It is true. I love hard, I fight hard, and I have deep compassion and empathy for things that matter to me. I have also been called a Bitch …. and I am completely ok with that.

So here we are--my first blog. A few ground rules.

1.  I reserve the right to delete any comment that I feel is not adding to or contributing to the discussion.
2.    I don’t have a problem with different points of view, in fact I invite them, but it will be done with respect, and dignity or it will not stand. No name calling in the comment section. Although, I reserve the right to name call if I deem it appropriate.
3.    If there are two ways to take my point of view and one of them offends you then stop and take the other point of view.
4.    I will not tolerate the spewing of hate towards any person. Humor and wit are greatly appreciated.

The beauty of writing a blog, it is completely my opinion. It is my blog and if you don’t approve, then write your own blog.

I have an editor or two. They will help me with facts, punctuation and grammar but not opinion. I fully expect that they will be posting in the comment section because even though we are dear friends we do not agree on all subjects. I trust, respect, and value their opinions.

Welcome! As my sister has stated: “Oh Lord! Ya’ll are going to let her loose? Hang on, it will be a fantastic but bumpy ride."  I love my sister!

6 comments:

  1. Bring it! I am ready and can't wait to see where this goes!! (I too LOVE exclamation points!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can attest to the loyalty claim as you were one of just a few people who were supportive of me during a very difficult time. I will never, ever forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^ It was easy to do the right thing. I never once hesitated to stand with you in that very dark hour. Sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coming from your sister...LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoo hoo!!! A woman after my own heart! You go girl & I'll be sure to put in my 2 cents.

    ~Terri Vaughn Ivie

    ReplyDelete